TELLING OUR STORIESSwing Alley 2018
LLUíS COLOMA & CARL SONNY LEYLAND
1. BOOGIE WOOGIE GALLOP (Ll.Coloma/C.S.Leyland)
2. SWIPESY CAKEWALK (S.Joplin/A.Marshall)
3. ROLLING TUMBLEWEEDS (C.S.Leyland)
4. DETOUR THROUGH MELANCHOLIA (Ll.Coloma/C.S.Leyland)
5. DESTROYING THE BOOGIE (Ll. Coloma)
6. TREMBLING BLUES (Cooney Vaughn)
7. AVALON (V.Rose/B.Desylva/A.Johnson)
8. AFTER GLOWERS (Ll.Coloma/C.S.Leyland)
9. GOOD GRAVY RAG (Harry Belding)
10. HINDUSTAN (O.Wallace/H.Weeks)
11. IT’S A BRAND NEW BOOGIE (Tampa Red)
12. SWANEE RIVER BOOGIE (Stephen Foster)
13. YOUR CHEATIN’ HEART (Hank Williams)
14. SUN’S GONNA SHINE ON PRETTY REDWING SOMEDAY (Ll.Coloma/C.S.Leyland)
Lluís Coloma - Piano (Right Channel)
Carl Sonny Leyland - Piano & Vocals (Left Channel)
Victor Puertas - Harmonica on It’s a Brand New Boogie
Marc Ruiz - Drums & Shaker on Destroying the Boogie & Sun’s Gonna Shine On Pretty Redwing Someday.
Recorded by Natxo Nogueras at Estudios Oído, Barcelona, Spain, December 6th, 8th, 9th & 10th, 2017
Mixed by Natxo Nogueras, Lluís Coloma & Carl Sonny Leyland at Estudios Oído, December 2017
Mastering by Álvaro Balañá, Impact Mastering Labs, Barcelona, Spain, January 2018
Photos by Jordi González & Michel Alzounies
Produced by Lluís Coloma & Carl Sonny Leyland
Executive Producer: Jordi Pujol
Lluís Coloma and Carl Sonny Leyland first met nearly 20 years ago at the Boogie Woogie Festival in LaRoquebrou, France. After that initial meeting, their paths crossed on numerous occasions and a mutual admiration and close friendship developed. Now, thanks to Fresh Sound Records, they have the opportunity to present this collection of duet recordings.
Considered to be two of the most original and creative pianists in the blues and boogie genre, Carl Sonny & Lluís know the tradition intimately, but are not afraid to introduce new elements which they incorporate in a truly organic and natural way. While these two players and composers each have their own very defined and personal sounds, they join together seamlessly here for a musical conversation filled with creativity, spontaneity, and virtuosity.
Carl Sonny Leyland & Lluís Coloma present in these recordings an innovative mix of tradition and modernity that will transport the listener to unexpected places full of magic and complexity.